Summer has arrived in the Northern Hemisphere. The warm sun probably has you itching to plan a getaway and high gas prices won’t deter you one bit. You’re not alone: 59 percent of Americans plan to travel this summer (up 8 percent from last year). Whether by car, bus, train or plane, travel can be costly. Here are five tips from Answers.com on how to save on your summer travel this year:
- Sign up for airline and hotel Twitter feeds. Often travel companies will post exclusive deals to their social media fans.
- Try something off the beaten beach or amusement park path, maybe a lesser known national park, to find lower prices not to mention less crowds.
- Be flexible with your travel days. Airfare is usually cheaper midweek than on weekends. Prices also spike around holidays like 4th of July and Labor Day, so plan accordingly.
- Live like a local: rent an apartment or house instead of staying in a hotel room to save big bucks.
- Fly from a smaller, regional airport. And don’t check a bag!
For more tips, watch this Video Answer from CBS Money Watch. Then, tell us in the comments where you plan to jet off to this summer!