Specifically, letter frequency – how often different letters appear in English words. Well, I’m here to help you open your mind to some A-M-A-Z-I-N-G trivia:
- The English letter frequency sequence (from most to least common) is “ETAONRISHDLFCMUGYPWBVKXJQZ.”
- The “top eight” letters comprise about 65% of the total usage
- “T” is the most common first letter in English words at 16.7% of words.
- “X” is the least common first letter in English words at 0.005% of words.
- The use of letter frequencies and frequency analysis plays a fundamental role in several games, including hangman, Scrabble, Wheel of Fortune, Definition, Bananagrams, and cryptograms.
Get more letter frequency trivia!