Shiny new answers. Perfectionistic edits. Categorization after categorization after categorization. Contributions are the pulse of our Q&A community. We record them, search them, filter them, revert them, reward for them and – sometimes – block for them.
There are dozens of ways to contribute on WikiAnswers, and until recently, they were all bundled together into one big contribution total, which looked like this box here.
What if you could see the breakdown of your contributions, and where you stand within the community in each grouping? Yeah, that’s what we thought, too. So the boys in the back room did some magic, and today we are rolling out a new contribution system that will let you shine in five new ways:
- Answers: first answers
- Edits: edits to questions, answers, alternates, related questions and related links
- Organization: categorization, flags, features, merges, splits, protects and more…
- Questions: questions asked
- Community: messages, discussion posts and bio page edits
Read on to find out where you’ll see the changes.
Bio pages: more transparency
- If you’re in this month’s top 100 for a specific contribution type, you’ll see a little starburst next to it. Click on the starburst to see the top 100 list.
- Hover over a contribution title (e.g., “Organization”) to see what type of action is included in that group.
- Click “Total” to see all of the user’s contributions.
Category pages: getting to the heart of matters
We now recognize all types of category contributions on a monthly basis, so whether you’re an intrepid new contributor rising through the ranks or a community leader watching from the sidelines hoping to recruit a supervisor, this page has it all.
Missing the forest for the trees? Click the Hall of Fame link to return to the sitewide leaderboards…
Check it out by visiting your favorite category homepage, or see Animal Life for an example.
Leaderboards: being #1 never looked so good
It seemed like a shame to upgrade the contribution system and then send it down the red carpet on the arm of an old leaderboard. A little like being presented at the Inaugural Ball in an Armani suit… and ratty Converse All-Stars from 1977. So we gave the leaderboards a makeover, and there are oh, so many sweet new ways to be #1. See for yourself:
- This month’s top 10s by action type and top 100 overall
- Statistical blasts from the past
- All-time top contributors by action type, by category and overall
Click the arrows to see the top 100.
You’re probably wondering…
- What will happen to my old contributions?
Old contributions will not be affected. All of the points from old contributions have migrated to the new system. That’s how loyal they are. (Even if they’re wearing ratty old shoes. That’s how loyal we are.)
- What are Historical points?
Historical points are a record of some very old contributions that didn’t fit into the new system (it was a bit like putting a video cassette into a DVD player). We didn’t want you to lose them, so we created a special category for them. The number won’t change. You can view it as a little contribution nest egg.
- Yesterday I was #1 in answers. Today I’m not even on the list. What happened?
Monthly leaderboards start fresh on the 1st of every month. This gives all great contributors a chance to shine!
- What about the all-time leaderboards? I’ve been on WikiAnswers a long time.
They’re still around. We gave them a makeover. Winter colors.
- Where are the new leaderboards? Take me there!
This is the URL: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Special:Tops. Bookmark it, favorite it, share it with your friends. Hug it like you’ll never let it go.
“This feature ROCKS!” – Ganderton
“I want to cuddle it.” – Eliesheva
“It will make me want to answer more, and that’s a good thing.” – Kmac
“I don’t know how I lived without it before.” – Brave3
“That’s hawt.” – Anonymous
“Split contributions makes me want to be a cheerleader again! Go SCs!” – Crystal
“It looks so pretty and shiny that I could stare at it all day!” – Stupid Little Genius
“The engineers have surpassed themselves… Possibly the best feature I have seen with my time on site.” – Mike 2
“I’m so excited about split contribs that my OCD is going to go into hyperdrive!” – An8thg
What do you think of the new contributions system? Add your own testimonial in the comments section below!